Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Ryan Adams at the 35th Annual Ann Arbor Folk Festival


Ryan Adams.  One of my favorite artists of all time!  Writer and singer of amazing songs that will make you laugh and break your heart simultaneously.  NOTE: Definitely not to be confused with the 90's super star Canadian recording artist Bryan Adams.  (In fact, there is a story that while performing at a concert, Ryan Adams was so angry about a heckler in the audience screaming "play summer of '69!!!!" that he jumped off the stage and punched the guy in the face.  Don't know if that's true or not, but I like to pretend that it is).

ANYWAY, my point is Ryan Adams is great.  His 2005 album Cold Roses is the record I would take with me to a desert island if I was only allowed to pick one thing to listen to for all eternity.  AND, its a double CD, so that is a plus in a desert island type scenario.

CJ and I went to see him play at the 35th annual Ann Arbor folk festival this past Friday.


The concert was at Hill Auditorium, which is an incredible place to hear live music- it is one of the most acoustically perfect venues in the US.*
*At least, that is what CJ says, and I believe him, cause the music sounds that good!

The lobby @ Hill before the show

BUT, before Ryan went on, Devotchka played.  LOVED!  If you're not familiar with them, you should check them out- that is, if you enjoy super dramatic Russian-y carnival-y type music that's heavy on the accordion and tuba (which, who doesn't, obviously).

DEVOTCHKA!  Note the giant tuba on the right hand side.  Sorry for the blurriness!

THEN, Ryan!  Just him and a guitar.  I did try to take a picture during the show, but as usual, someone's giant head was blocking the view.  
Ryan started out with one of my favorite songs.  This is the set list below- CJ found it for my on the "internets."

Oh My Sweet Carolina
Ashes & Fire
Dirty Rain
My Winding Wheel
Sweet Lil Gal (piano)
Everybody Knows
Firecracker
Please Do Not Let Me Go
Lucky Now
Let It Ride
Two
New York, New York (piano)
Come Pick Me Up



I had to get a tee shirt!  I couldn't resist such an intense design...
Tee shirt.  So metal.

The whole show was amazing and it was great to be able to spend some time in Ann Arbor- the Mitten's hippie heart and home to my alma matter (go blue)! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment